Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Blondes: What's all the fuss?

This is from November, but I feel its warm reviews (thank you. thank you.) made it deserving of a little spot in the blog. (i don't have the copy that went to print so here's the rough draft.)

Waiting in line to get into the Nine Inch Nails concert my best friend and I were swarmed with little cat calls and compliments. When I got to the front of the line I handed the guy my ticket and he needed to search my purse. He told me if I took the batteries out of my camera I could bring it in. As I fumbled to get the battery compartment open the guy looked at me and said “I guess those things don’t come with manuals for blondes”. I was horrified. I threw my batteries at him and stormed into the stadium.

Blondes have always been considered over-sexed vixens with nothing inside their precious little heads. These lusty babes have been the subject of many jokes and references throughout the years, but thanks to young ‘heir’ heads in the media this poor reputation of blondes has been clinched.


These young bony homeless looking stars have made it so blondes have to put warts on the end of their noses to be taken seriously. Who says these media whores are really dumb, or are they faking it just like their virginity? Many blondes are actually really intelligent. Perhaps this 'dumb blonde' cliché is on the way out.


Sure Barbie is blonde and so am I (when I keep up with stylist appointments), but the last time I looked in the mirror I didn’t see 'made by Mattel' on my sexy little bottom. I sit in class amongst many intelligent blondes and we may all have our Jessica Simpson moments, but nobody has a right to start classifying us as spoiled heiresses.


Our culture may be ready to take a step in a new direction. Maybe America is sick of seeing starved over-processed girls in drunken stoopers all over news stands and television programs. Maybe we're ready to finally accept that blondes are sophisticated women too.




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this!!!

11:01 AM  
Blogger Wanda said...

You go gurrl!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home