Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Introducing My Sister

So, being the over dramatic older sister I have decided to stop being so self absorbed and shed light on my sister's fabulous ability of writing. Here's a little story she wrote about me (Well, I can still be a little self absorbed, right?).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Day I Ate Leaves by my sister Ciara.

I remember when I was little you were always the better one at coloring and the fact that you could do something bigger, better, faster, slower, nicer, or just different than me, made my competetive vibes flow. ( I like to think that this is what attributed to me being more athletic, and according to Sts. Peter and Paul School's social standards, more popular than you).

You were never one to fight back when I called you names like "dumbo"..which I so elequenty named you after Andrew, the love of my life at the time, had decided that your Barbie was "prettier" than mine. (I think I recall punching and then breaking up with my kindergarden sweetheart after he went on to decide that he would marry your red-headed doll.) I wanted to scratch your eyes out....you big fat dumbo. However, being the good Catholic girl that Mom raised us to be, I confessed this five years later to Father Jim at my first confession and think I actually still feel bad about it.) However I later went on to realize that you actually weren't fat and certainly not a dumbo. Then I didn't realize that it was your long skinny legs, blue eyes, and blonde hair are what made me choose my Barbie. She looked just like you...and so would naturally, be better. How could I continue resenting something that I so desperately wanted to be?

I was always ready to show you up...no matter what the occasion.

I like to call this one moment in particular, "The day I ate leaves".

You and Sarah, older and much more "mature", knew that I would do anything, and I mean anything to be "cool". As I approached the tree on the left side of our red-brick Texas mansion, you and Sarah were struggling to contain your giggles by sparking up random conversation. Of course I was eager to join in on the fun and ran to your side. I swung my hip to the right as I so cooly brushed my hair out of my face only to remark, "What are you doing? I want to do it too. Hey! You GGGGUUUUYYYSSS let me do it too!" Sarah let out a long sigh, and now that I look back on it I think I can remember a slight grimace forming at her lips as she decided that for the first time, "I could hang with the big girls." (This is ironic only because Sarah is a Nun now...a good, non-grimacing type of nun.) I was overwhelmed with excitement, but tried to maintain my composure. You and Sarah uncurled your hands to reveal three leaves. I was confused. I had no idea that this is what adults did....Eat leaves. "Classy," I thought. After you and Sarah simultatneously brought the leaves to your mouth and continued to sneak them behind your backs so that I wouldn't notice, you presented me with my leaf. I shoved it in my mouth but was unexpectedly surprised by the bitter taste. Your faces seemed so content with the leaves as you moved your jaws in a chewing motion. I refused to let you see that I was in fact, not an adult and not cool. So I smiled as I scuffled down the leaf.

Contrary to popular belief, the leaf was not made of chocolate (#*&...i love chocolate), was not as classy as caviar, and was not your everyday "happy meal" at McDonald's.

The fact is that I could never color inside the lines...so I just quit coloring all together. I decided that being short, having brown hair, being clumsy, and just overall uncool can be just as good as being a crazy extremely outgoing tall blonde model who colors inside the lines....sometimes.

so ha.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


So there it is. She's talented and I was a mean big sister.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home